Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Change

It’s a new year, yet I’m still doing the same things. As time changes, how many of us really change? Today my table is covered with random papers, notebooks, binders, textbooks, and of course a few snacks. Every morning I wake up, drink coffee, get ready, eat breakfast and watch the news. This probably sounds familiar to many of you. As my day progresses I go to school for hours on end, walk or play fetch with my dog, do some homework, and watch t.v. Does my life not sound boring? Today, I’m doing the same movements I did yesterday, as I will tomorrow. As I reflect on this year, I realize although my life is not changing drastically every moment, I am happy for who I am and what I have become. I am happy everyday being around my Fiancé, enjoying the beauty of what surrounds me, and making the most out of everything. I have recognized too young that life does not work how you want it and those that you love will leave this world way before “they are suppose to”. It made me bitter, but also more thankful. As the New Year begins I challenge myself to recognize the change that has personally challenged me throughout the year. More so, I challenge myself not to be bitter, but to be better and find the beauty in each situation. However, I can guarantee that tomorrow my coffee table will still be covered, and I will still drink coffee and watch the daily news and I don’t plan to change that.

8 comments:

  1. 1. Welcome!
    2. I think that within this great first slice there are a dozen other slices...it left me wanting details to things you reference, for example: What is comforting about your routine? What could not NOT do without? What made you so bitter (for a while, or still, even though you might not want to feel that way)? What didn't work out how you wanted? Who is this fiance guy? :)
    3. 40 days. That's the magic number to change a habit, to make something new. I like to just do one thing at a time, because too much change all at once is both overwhelming and impossible. Bite-sized...that's how I like my change. Micro-movements.
    4. See you next week! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your post. I will definitely answer some of the questions you have in the following weeks. 40 days seems like a long time, but if I set my mind to it I believe it is a reachable goal. Not over doing it is huge!

      Delete
  2. Welcome. It's always great reading what new slicers have to say. I can relate to your slice - I, too, have my "routine" as I like to call it - my hubby says I'm in a rut. But, I rather like that everyday satisfaction of doing the same things. I think that even though I have this routine, I'm still changing in small ways. Looking forward to reading more of your slices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Even though we have routines, we are changing in small ways, many that you may not even notice until you take the time to reflect.

      Delete
  3. I loved your forthright honesty. But, I sense that though the outward habits may be the same (the book-laden coffee table, the daily news), the inner you is not. Hence the resolve to: "challenge myself not to be bitter, but to be better and find the beauty in each situation." Good for you, we're cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great insights you share! I loved, " I challenge myself not to be bitter, but to be better." Perfect words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tricia, I love this post! I love the new outlook on life you are having as well. You are such a beautiful lady and I am so thankful for our friendship :) Keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this slice in many ways. When looking at my life I realize many similarities with yours. I always try to do things differently than the day before yet somehow always end up on the same routine. Yet it is much different than it was last year or even last month. Change can be good, as it is the only constant. I too lost a very dear friend, one of my best friends. He was far too young to be gone so soon, and I think of him daily. That experience gave me a new outlook on how I treat people, and myself. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete